BMW iX Forums banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Maybe tires as well - I've always been suspicious of the claimed range order of 20-22-21, particularly with the increased width and rolling resistance of the 22's. Temp could play a significant factor too, but we're nibbling around the margins - 250+ miles from 80% is pretty darn good, even in ideal conditions, and I suspect (and it's been reported) that these batteries are way more efficient than first projected.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Maybe tires as well - I've always been suspicious of the claimed range order of 20-22-21, particularly with the increased width and rolling resistance of the 22's. Temp could play a significant factor too, but we're nibbling around the margins - 250+ miles from 80% is pretty darn good, even in ideal conditions, and I suspect (and it's been reported) that these batteries are way more efficient than first projected.
This and also consider your average speed. I do well because my average speed is low on the commute. On my i3, I could get @120 miles on a full charge along my commute. Open road at 85mph I'd be lucky to get 90 miles. Add the family and I drop to 70 miles.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Return trip I hit the EA charger (first time, was smooth except plug&charge didn't work so I apple-pay tapped with the EA card) on the way.
From charger home it was 43mi and I consumed 12% of battery .. I kept recalculating the landing battery % in my head as I went, and the car kept out-performing.

This would give me a 358mi 100% range or 286mi 80% range.. so consistent with early 290mi calculations

Stop&go slow highway traffic in 90F heat with lots of AC..
So update here, range is continuing to be about 290mi @ 80% / 360mi @ 100% both calculated and in real-world use provided I stay below 80mph. It does quite well right up to 70-75mph though.

However, and here's a fun data point - I have 21" wheels not 22" as I earlier mis-reported!

Looking up the tires to clarify, but I believe they are all-seasons (Goodyear Eagle Touring)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes the range ordering spec is odd, note my post above .. I actually have the 21s that I am getting [email protected]%/[email protected]% range on!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I honestly don't think the wheel sizes are making as big a difference as previously reported by BMW. I have 22" wheels and I am showing approx 295-300 miles at 80% and around 360 miles at 100% charge in my toasty 105F NorCal central valley weather

·
Registered
74 Posts
I honestly don't think the wheel sizes are making as big a difference as previously reported by BMW. I have 22" wheels and I am showing approx 295-300 miles at 80% and around 360 miles at 100% charge in my toasty 105F NorCal central valley weather
I wonder if wheel size is a bigger deal on Tesla Model 3 for example because the overall weight/aerodynamics are so good.

Whereas with an SUV like the iX, the weight, higher ground clearance and body aerodynamics are already the main factors driving consumption so wheel size doesn't have as large % impact.

Also interestingly, BMW marks all the iX wheels as "aero" while Tesla only puts that designation on the base 18" wheels generally with the big plastic insert. Visually it looks like BMW puts some sort of plastic insert in all the wheels, whereas some of the larger Tesla wheels look very open.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Are you referring to Maximum Range?
Usually on dashboard there are three numbers. Maximum, current driving mode, and Minimum. I usually look at current driving style number which is middle number.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks @SteveBK123 and @nash1991 for sharing pictures. You guys have awesome average.

Since the last charge on 08/14 up to 80%, I drove about 154 miles (80 freeway miles and rest local miles) with average 2.4 miles/kwh. This morning I had 19% of charge with 67 miles left. Just plugged in for charge back to 80%.

After looking at your numbers, my efficiency is very low. About 210-220 miles/80% battery charge.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks @SteveBK123 and @nash1991 for sharing pictures. You guys have awesome average.

Since the last charge on 08/14 up to 80%, I drove about 154 miles (80 freeway miles and rest local miles) with average 2.4 miles/kwh. This morning I had 19% of charge with 67 miles left. Just plugged in for charge back to 80%.

After looking at your numbers, my efficiency is very low. About 210-220 miles/80% battery charge.
I am averaging 2.9-3.1 miles/kWh when I check, maybe you got a lead foot eh ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I guess... :) but I am trying to drive as gentle as possible. I drive my Range Rover nowhere as nicely as iX.

I should give this to my wife and see what average she gets.

Side note, I just looked at first few pictures when I picked up the car from dealer. It was showing 92% battery and 298 miles range. If I remember correctly, it was showing 98% battery 319 miles of range.

·
Registered
74 Posts

I think for me it's a few factors.

Getting used to driving a car this big, I am generally not accelerating hard.

Secondly, my most recent drive was 85mi highway, 99% on Active Driver Assist Pro and slower than usual.
Normally this drive is ~15mi @ 25mph / ~40mi @ 75mph / 30mi @ ~60mph.
This ride the 75mph segment was busy enough that I rarely got above, let alone hit 70mph.

So far I'm finding iX efficiency has an inflection point around 75mph, which is great for northeast highway causing needs.
Tesla I found that inflection point was closer to 65mph or so.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I think for me it's a few factors.

Getting used to driving a car this big, I am generally not accelerating hard.

Secondly, my most recent drive was 85mi highway, 99% on Active Driver Assist Pro and slower than usual.
Normally this drive is ~15mi @ 25mph / ~40mi @ 75mph / 30mi @ ~60mph.
This ride the 75mph segment was busy enough that I rarely got above, let alone hit 70mph.

So far I'm finding iX efficiency has an inflection point around 75mph, which is great for northeast highway causing needs.
Tesla I found that inflection point was closer to 65mph or so.
Good to know. On my next long trip, i'll try to keep it at or below 75mph.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts