BMW iX Forums banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
View attachment 2426

Update after driving for 1100 miles total on the car. Range keeps impressing! We did a 190 mile trip last week in 110F weather and still had 178 miles left on range when we were done!
This is very impressive. Please share your driving habits. Do you drive in efficient mode?

I drove about 3000 miles in about 35 days. I do get about 320+ with 100%. Yesterday it was showing 288 miles range with 80% battery. Now I drive just like I drive my Range Rover. I always have front seats cooling/ventilation ON, sometimes massager for couple of sessions. On Freeways I drive around 82 mph +/-.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is very impressive. Please share your driving habits. Do you drive in efficient mode?

I drove about 3000 miles in about 35 days. I do get about 320+ with 100%. Yesterday it was showing 288 miles range with 80% battery. Now I drive just like I drive my Range Rover. I always have front seats cooling/ventilation ON, sometimes massager for couple of sessions. On Freeways I drive around 82 mph +/-.
The 82mph part is your biggest efficiency killer.
Somewhere above 75mph I find the car stops hitting its calculated range, by 80-85mph you can really notice the difference. 70mph and below it drastically outpaces the range.

·
Registered
98 Posts

I drive in personal mode, approx 75mph on the highway, always have ventilated seats on as well. Haven’t tried efficient mode yet!

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I only have about 120 miles on my car but I am getting a range estimate of 272 miles based on an 80% charge. It says my average consumption over the last 64 miles is 41.2 kWh/100 mi.

Have I been driving it rather inefficiently?

·
Registered
98 Posts
So I only have about 120 miles on my car but I am getting a range estimate of 272 miles based on an 80% charge. It says my average consumption over the last 64 miles is 41.2 kWh/100 mi.

Have I been driving it rather inefficiently?
It takes a good 500-1000 miles for the car to judge your driving style and adjust range estimates accordingly! Biggest way to increase efficiency on the highway is to keep the speed around 75mph or below. And stay off the lead foot in city driving 😉

·
Registered
57 Posts
Has anyone noticed if SHORT trips have significantly worse mileage? This was my experience with my Tesla X; I might manage 350 w/mile over the course of 150 freeway miles, but if I hop in the car to do 5-10 miles around town doing errands, I'm more likely to get 400-600 w/mile...short drives are just terribly inefficient in the Tesla, presumably because it spends a lot of energy optimizing the battery temperature combined with stop-and-go.

It seems like the consensus is that most folks can get great mileage over distances on the freeway and even exceed EPA estimates, but I'm really curious about short around town stuff.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Has anyone noticed if SHORT trips have significantly worse mileage? This was my experience with my Tesla X; I might manage 350 w/mile over the course of 150 freeway miles, but if I hop in the car to do 5-10 miles around town doing errands, I'm more likely to get 400-600 w/mile...short drives are just terribly inefficient in the Tesla, presumably because it spends a lot of energy optimizing the battery temperature combined with stop-and-go.

It seems like the consensus is that most folks can get great mileage over distances on the freeway and even exceed EPA estimates, but I'm really curious about short around town stuff.
Short in town rides have been just as efficient for me as freeway drives. My 10 mile commute every morning to work in stop and go traffic gets me approx 3-3.1 mile/kWH

·
Registered
2022 IX, F150 Lightning, Fisker Ocean orders
37 Posts
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Grille

Adding the roofrack has made a small change to my range. Went from ~350 mi/100% to ~340mi/100% charge. Stock 20s, rarely driving above 60mph (city).

·
Registered
74 Posts
View attachment 2489

Adding the roofrack has made a small change to my range. Went from ~350 mi/100% to ~340mi/100% charge. Stock 20s, rarely driving above 60mph (city).
I just took my roof rack off now that summer is over.
The range impact was, as you point out, negligible.
However the noise at highway speed was annoying for my regular 85mile road trips so it will stay off until June.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts