BMW iX Forums banner

What is your iX50 Range with casual driving, with 80% charging?

14K views 64 replies 23 participants last post by  NomoTesla 
#1 ·
For daily regular drive, we only charge up to 80% of the battery. I am wondering what is your estimated range on the car with 80% charge? Assuming you would drive just like your previous ICE car, not driving in Eco mode nor driving in conservative driving speed at 70mph.

My regular drive is local, not much freeways. With 80% of batter, it is showing me about 260 miles of range.
I have 22" wheels.

#3 ·
For daily regular drive, we only charge up to 80% of the battery. I am wondering what is your estimated range on the car with 80% charge? Assuming you would drive just like your previous ICE car, not driving in Eco mode nor driving in conservative driving speed at 70mph.

My regular drive is local, not much freeways. With 80% of batter, it is showing me about 260 miles of range.
I have 22" wheels.
Same here

#5 ·

I have 22" wheels.
About 260 miles here too

#6 ·
I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the range!
ix50 on 22” wheels

Today did an 85mi trip, 1h45min of driving.. about 1hr going 70-75mph & 45min going 15-25mph city and then highway stop&go. Only used 22% of my battery. The opposite direction last week took about 25% of battery.

Both trips 85-90F heat with AC running.

Extrapolating that you would expect 80% charge to get me 290mi.

#7 ·
So far I had one long drive when I picked up the car, charged up to 84% with range showing about 280. Then drove 200 miles with speed anywhere between 80mph to 105mph, some cruise control with 77mph. At destination, I had 18% battery left with about 50 miles left.

#8 ·
Return trip I hit the EA charger (first time, was smooth except plug&charge didn't work so I apple-pay tapped with the EA card) on the way.
From charger home it was 43mi and I consumed 12% of battery .. I kept recalculating the landing battery % in my head as I went, and the car kept out-performing.

This would give me a 358mi 100% range or 286mi 80% range.. so consistent with early 290mi calculations

Stop&go slow highway traffic in 90F heat with lots of AC..

#23 ·
Return trip I hit the EA charger (first time, was smooth except plug&charge didn't work so I apple-pay tapped with the EA card) on the way.
From charger home it was 43mi and I consumed 12% of battery .. I kept recalculating the landing battery % in my head as I went, and the car kept out-performing.

This would give me a 358mi 100% range or 286mi 80% range.. so consistent with early 290mi calculations

Stop&go slow highway traffic in 90F heat with lots of AC..
So update here, range is continuing to be about 290mi @ 80% / 360mi @ 100% both calculated and in real-world use provided I stay below 80mph. It does quite well right up to 70-75mph though.

However, and here's a fun data point - I have 21" wheels not 22" as I earlier mis-reported!

Looking up the tires to clarify, but I believe they are all-seasons (Goodyear Eagle Touring)

#9 ·
My iX50 has 21" wheels. Another way to gage driving efficiency is how many miles you're getting per kWh. Click on the Live Vehice icon and then Trip Data...it can display values from current trip, since last charge, or from factory or individual.

Here are pix since my last charge to 80%. I drove 200 miles, and I averaged 3.2 mi/kWh. The battery had 17% SOC left with 64 miles left for estimated range.

I typically get between 3.2 and 3.4 mi/kWh on charges to 80% @SOC. I've been advised that about every 1500 miles to charge (at least once with level 2 charger) to 100% and let the battery get below 10%, also at least once. I've driven mine 4550 miles.

Another data point: the iX battery capacity is 106.3 kWhs. So my estimated total range with a full battery would be 3.3 mi/kWh X 106.3 kWh = 350.8 miles.

Attachments

#11 ·
I didn't hear about charging at least 100% after 1500 miles. Good to know.

When you charge 100% what is the recommended idle time. Usually it is hard to plan that you start driving right after 100% charge. I am wondering if you can leave the car idle for 8-12 hours after charging 100%. Because usually home charging is done at night, so your car will be 100% by morning. I usually leave for out of town trips in the evening/night, less traffic.

#12 ·

I have 22" wheels.
I just did my first long trip a mix of freeway and heavy urban traffic in a roughly 60/40 split and got 400km which is roughly 250 miles with 177 km (110 miles) range showing- I am a very conservative driver, top speed was 110 km/h (68 mph) and I use the B position and Efficient mode. Also at 18 degrees C (65 F) np passengers, no luggage and no AC, just fresh air. I have an 50 M sport on 22s. In Efficient mode, there is a readout under the power gauge that shows the extra range by careful driving and on this occasion it was 49.9 km extra range - roughly 30 miles. We also have a V8 TT Bentley Flying Spur that I regularly get 32 mpg out of! The dealer didn't believe me until I showed him the readout! 🤣

#16 ·

I have 22" wheels.

I have 22" wheels.
My car is estimating 296 miles at 80% and 348 miles at 100 percent.

#17 ·
What are you guys doing to get that kind of range?
"Sine the last battery charge" Trip values. My average is still 2.5kwh. I am driving nicely and not accelerating fast.
FYI, outside weather temperature is 100F+ these days in central valley California.

#18 ·
Nothing special really - driving in town (sometimes in B mode, but not always), some highway (70 mph-ish), not ripping it on the throttle but an occasional jump, mostly in Personal Mode, sometimes Sport, sometimes Efficient. Basically everyday driving. Essentially every time I "fill up" to 80% it's over 290 miles, 80-90F mostly, mostly flat, light wind, one other (100-ish pound) passenger, with occasionally less than 100 lbs cargo, 21" tires at recommended inflation, A/C at 74F.

#21 ·
Maybe tires as well - I've always been suspicious of the claimed range order of 20-22-21, particularly with the increased width and rolling resistance of the 22's. Temp could play a significant factor too, but we're nibbling around the margins - 250+ miles from 80% is pretty darn good, even in ideal conditions, and I suspect (and it's been reported) that these batteries are way more efficient than first projected.

#26 ·
I wonder if wheel size is a bigger deal on Tesla Model 3 for example because the overall weight/aerodynamics are so good.

Whereas with an SUV like the iX, the weight, higher ground clearance and body aerodynamics are already the main factors driving consumption so wheel size doesn't have as large % impact.

Also interestingly, BMW marks all the iX wheels as "aero" while Tesla only puts that designation on the base 18" wheels generally with the big plastic insert. Visually it looks like BMW puts some sort of plastic insert in all the wheels, whereas some of the larger Tesla wheels look very open.

#31 ·
Thanks @SteveBK123 and @nash1991 for sharing pictures. You guys have awesome average.

Since the last charge on 08/14 up to 80%, I drove about 154 miles (80 freeway miles and rest local miles) with average 2.4 miles/kwh. This morning I had 19% of charge with 67 miles left. Just plugged in for charge back to 80%.

After looking at your numbers, my efficiency is very low. About 210-220 miles/80% battery charge.

#32 ·
Thanks @SteveBK123 and @nash1991 for sharing pictures. You guys have awesome average.

Since the last charge on 08/14 up to 80%, I drove about 154 miles (80 freeway miles and rest local miles) with average 2.4 miles/kwh. This morning I had 19% of charge with 67 miles left. Just plugged in for charge back to 80%.

After looking at your numbers, my efficiency is very low. About 210-220 miles/80% battery charge.
I am averaging 2.9-3.1 miles/kWh when I check, maybe you got a lead foot eh ;)

#33 ·
I guess... :) but I am trying to drive as gentle as possible. I drive my Range Rover nowhere as nicely as iX.

I should give this to my wife and see what average she gets.

Side note, I just looked at first few pictures when I picked up the car from dealer. It was showing 92% battery and 298 miles range. If I remember correctly, it was showing 98% battery 319 miles of range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.