BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning

has everyone else’s range plummeted in winter?

I’ve tried B mode D mode and can only get circa 180 but this is the absolute limit

cruising at 70-75 on motorways - with a light foot on acceleration

really poor - am I missing something ??

uk post

· Registered
BMW iX 40 M Sport
17 Posts
My iX 40 arrives Tuesday and this is my biggest concern. It might drive me nuts as I do a lot of miles having covered 34000 miles in 22 months, mainly motorway. If it's really annoying and I like the car as much as I think I will then I'll consider splashing out on the iX 50.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry to say that in my current experience the mileage is prohibitive - I do 20k per year - and about 80 round trip normal commute

I can only get 2 days commute at themoment!

lovely car though

· Registered
2022 BMW iX40
14 Posts
Same here, iX40, about 180 miles in these temps on longer trips at higher cruising speeds, average 2.5 mi/kWh when below freezing. But way better than my e-tron. Which has a bigger usable battery but similar overall range in winter.

Side by side the iX is also more efficient on a day to day basis with local trips to town and back circa 8 miles each way with the Audi getting approx. 1.2 to 2.2 mi/kWh and the iX getting 1.8 to 2.7 over similar trips on similar days/temps. For example, yesterday, two side by side identical trips to town, 11 miles round trip, wife in e-tron 1.9 mi/kWh, me in iX 2.7 mi/kWh. Even accepting different driving styles and different use of regen, that is a good bit different in efficiency.

On that specific trip 1.9 x 86.5 usable battery e-tron when new = 164 miles max. 2.7 x 71kW usable battery battery iX = 191 miles.

All sort of irrelevant for me being lucky enough to have a 7.2kW home charger. Range and small trips do not matter at all, just enjoy the car.

Longer trips, say 300 miles, the iX gets way better efficiency on the second leg after charging to 80% at HPC. Which only adds to the annoyance of not being able to precondition battery manually for the start of a trip - which we can do in the Audi From the car or app.

· Registered
BMW iX 40 M Sport
17 Posts
Same here, iX40, about 180 miles in these temps on longer trips at higher cruising speeds, average 2.5 mi/kWh when below freezing. But way better than my e-tron. Which has a bigger usable battery but similar overall range in winter.

Side by side the iX is also more efficient on a day to day basis with local trips to town and back circa 8 miles each way with the Audi getting approx. 1.2 to 2.2 mi/kWh and the iX getting 1.8 to 2.7 over similar trips on similar days/temps. For example, yesterday, two side by side identical trips to town, 11 miles round trip, wife in e-tron 1.9 mi/kWh, me in iX 2.7 mi/kWh. Even accepting different driving styles and different use of regen, that is a good bit different in efficiency.

On that specific trip 1.9 x 86.5 usable battery e-tron when new = 164 miles max. 2.7 x 71kW usable battery battery iX = 191 miles.

All sort of irrelevant for me being lucky enough to have a 7.2kW home charger. Range and small trips do not matter at all, just enjoy the car.

Longer trips, say 300 miles, the iX gets way better efficiency on the second leg after charging to 80% at HPC. Which only adds to the annoyance of not being able to precondition battery manually for the start of a trip - which we can do in the Audi From the car or app.
Hi! What sort of miles do you get charging from your 7kW charger at home? When I;m at my main house I have one but in London I have to rely on the Flexi Charger which is a pain.

· Registered
2022 BMW iX40
14 Posts
Hi! What sort of miles do you get charging from your 7kW charger at home? When I;m at my main house I have one but in London I have to rely on the Flexi Charger which is a pain.
I add about 9% per hour. So in miles, if the range is say 180, that would be say 16 miles per hour, or in summer at say 230 range that would be 20 miles per hour. I have 5 hours cheaper rate at night between 21:30 and 02:30 with Octopus So tend to have timed charging during that period.

· Registered
28 Posts
I drove my ix50 on a 235-mile trip just before Christmas when the outside temperature was just below freezing. Mostly on motorway, cruising at 74mph. 2 people plus dog and a couple of suitcases in the car. Heating off most of the time, but using seat heaters and panel warmers, which kept us perfectly comfortable. We set off with 100% charge. On arrival the car was saying we still had 9% / 45 miles range remaining.

The same trip in the height of summer left us with 29% remaining on arrival.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks - will try that - I wonder if anyone else has found any range increasing tips

my 40 showed 180 miles in a full charge this morning until I drove out of the gates when it dropped to 165 ..

· Registered
155 Posts
Thanks - will try that - I wonder if anyone else has found any range increasing tips

my 40 showed 180 miles in a full charge this morning until I drove out of the gates when it dropped to 165 ..
@acdphudson Don't get hung up on the "estimated range" - Focus on the % remaining and the % used for your journey. That's more accurate.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts