BMW iX Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
So the seat warmers (1 seat) uses about 1% per hour. Depending on outside temperature, the HVAC heater (on blast) uses anywhere from 3-15% per hour. I was in Jasper National Park (Canada) 2 weeks ago at 1F and turned on the heater while loading my car for 30 minutes and it went from 43% to 36% in that time.

In those temps with minimal elevation changes, I drive 50-60mph (in D because B mode's regen will make you fishtail in the ice suddenly), no heaters at all (I bundle up in a bunch of layers), and be easy on accel/decel. It's going to be 180-210 miles effectively. If you're in an area with questionable charger coverage (for me in that stretch was 50kW chargers every 150 miles), you absolutely need to know how to do this if needed. It does feel a bit stupid to be doing that in a $100k+ vehicle, but that's just what we have to do if we want to be EV "early" adopters where public infrastructure is still inadequate.

Attachments

· Registered
67 Posts
So the seat warmers (1 seat) uses about 1% per hour. Depending on outside temperature, the HVAC heater (on blast) uses anywhere from 3-15% per hour. I was in Jasper National Park (Canada) 2 weeks ago at 1F and turned on the heater while loading my car for 30 minutes and it went from 43% to 36% in that time.

In those temps with minimal elevation changes, I drive 50-60mph (in D because B mode's regen will make you fishtail in the ice suddenly), no heaters at all (I bundle up in a bunch of layers), and be easy on accel/decel. It's going to be 180-210 miles effectively. If you're in an area with questionable charger coverage (for me in that stretch was 50kW chargers every 150 miles), you absolutely need to know how to do this if needed. It does feel a bit stupid to be doing that in a $100k+ vehicle, but that's just what we have to do if we want to be EV "early" adopters where public infrastructure is still inadequate.
So did you have doors etc open whilst it was trying to heat it for 30 mins?

I'm not sure why people are into B unless city driving in traffic, coasting is more efficient than regen since there are energy losses on recovery whereas if you coast that energy is used for motion, and even if you have to break then it will regen as if you'd been in B. I think people get confused about not using brakes because Tesla's don't regen on braking only on lift off - other marques don't have that design limitation.

· Registered
42 Posts
I had all doors and windows closed. I opened the trunk for about 1 minute every 5 mins for 30 minutes going back and forth from my hotel room to load the car.

Yeah honestly the D vs B mode thing is a personal preference. On long highway drives, D with coasting in Efficient mode is always the best. I actually love using B when I'm either driving aggressively or in regular local traffic as I'm just super used to the one pedal driving and lifting off the accelerator to come to a complete stop without brakes (it's like a game). With aggressive driving (like lane changes in traffic where people aren't really "letting you in" and you have to really be precise to cut in hard), I can feather the accelerator as it's already braking before my right foot moves to the brake pedal. Unfortunately here in California, you have to do that to get around in traffic as everyone is tailgaiting so nobody cuts in.

If it's local, honestly not many people care about max efficiency since they're close to home or a charger anyways. Do what you like with your car as honestly none of our opinions matter on this and nobody is going to hold a grudge if you don't drive the "perfect" way they do.

· Registered
32 Posts
Have my 40 for a week now, and the range is terrible, the app reports 30-33kWh per 100km, which probably translates into ~150miles range. But it's quite cold here, and I have pre-conditioning working every day before my each of my multiple trips — that heat pump eats a lot of power. Looking forward to see what will be the range in summer. A little bit concerned about it, but I do 95% of my driving in the city and I have a charger at home, so probably it's a matter of habit.

· Registered
32 Posts
I actually love using B when I'm either driving aggressively or in regular local traffic as I'm just super used to the one pedal driving and lifting off the accelerator to come to a complete stop without brakes (it's like a game). With aggressive driving (like lane changes in traffic where people aren't really "letting you in" and you have to really be precise to cut in hard), I can feather the accelerator as it's already braking before my right foot moves to the brake pedal.
I agree 100%. Using B is perfect for SPORT driving!!

· Registered
BMW iX 40 M Sport
17 Posts
In - 1.5 degrees today the max charge at 100% and 193 miles max. Using Efficient mode with heating set to 21.5 it chomped a chunk out of the remaining range very quickly and just looking forward to warmer weather. I can see buying a 40 will be a pain for me as I do a lot of miles, the 50 was and still is the better choice for me, its just a ludicrous price for 100 miles extra. Let's hope Tesla shaving massive amounts off their EV's will have a knock on effect throughout the industry. The cost of electric cars is, quite frankly absurd.

· Registered
32 Posts
I had all doors and windows closed. I opened the trunk for about 1 minute every 5 mins for 30 minutes going back and forth from my hotel room to load the car.

Yeah honestly the D vs B mode thing is a personal preference. On long highway drives, D with coasting in Efficient mode is always the best. I actually love using B when I'm either driving aggressively or in regular local traffic as I'm just super used to the one pedal driving and lifting off the accelerator to come to a complete stop without brakes (it's like a game). With aggressive driving (like lane changes in traffic where people aren't really "letting you in" and you have to really be precise to cut in hard), I can feather the accelerator as it's already braking before my right foot moves to the brake pedal. Unfortunately here in California, you have to do that to get around in traffic as everyone is tailgaiting so nobody cuts in.

If it's local, honestly not many people care about max efficiency since they're close to home or a charger anyways. Do what you like with your car as honestly none of our opinions matter on this and nobody is going to hold a grudge if you don't drive the "perfect" way they do.
Like you the B driving option is addictive.

· Registered
8 Posts
I agree 100%. Using B is perfect for SPORT driving!!
I agree too, B for sport driving. I'm often drive up a two lane country road from more or less 0feet to 8000feet elevation and even driving fast I can use mostly the accelerator for breaking. No need to move the feet, even if there is a sharper corner which makes it very enjoiyable.

One question on breaking with the break pedal - is there a way to see when the "normal" breaks are used in addition to regenerative breaking? As the transition is so smooth I never know when the normal breaking starts.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts