BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I got a quote to my IX50 for rims and studded winter tires that ended up at €5500. That’s a lot of money :)

I decided to look for after market rims but it’s not easy to find compatible rims, and no rims are certified for IX yet.

I got a solution with Audi rims that will work on paper, but it feels a bit “scary” when it is a new and heavy car and the rims are not certified specifically for IX.

Does anyone have any comments or ideas regarding aftermarket rims this early to IX?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah 20" should be in the $2k range. Was looking at Tire Rack and only saw the following options for a standard 275/50R20 fitment:

Pirelli Scorpion Winter: Not great value for $438.
Blizzak DM-V2: Cheapest at $280 but not great at highway speeds in the dry (albeit cold)
Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV: Not bad at $342. Should be decent on all dry/wet/snow.
Vredestein Wintrac Pro: I like this at $262 with the circumferential grooves for better wet/slush performance.

I'm SoCal based and do a lot of long-distance road trips for snowboarding (mostly SLC and sometimes up to Whistler/Banff) so the dry performance is pretty important also for cold dry highways. Everyone's snow situation is difference so my recommendation for those who need more low speed/ice grip would be the Blizzaks. I wouldn't take the Blizzaks because their breakaway on cornering is too sudden and not gradual at highway speeds which would be bad for me, but many of you won't really care. Or you can go for the Michelins.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts