BMW iX Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Was your M60 produced in the October 5th onward "batch" that had a stop delivery placed on it?
Car was produced on Aug 29, and remained in Quality Check status until Oct 27 when it was dispatched from factor. Sales Adviser contacted BMW Main, but they didn’t tell him why it was in QC for 2 month. Picked up vehicle today, and so far no issue.

· Registered
9 Posts
I got that message early in my iX ownership. I called the dealership and they taught me how to re-boot the car. The problem was cured and hasn't returned...With the ignition "on", press on the radio volume knob for about 60 seconds. That's is. Hope something like that works for you.
Thanks I’ll try that, the errors can’t be cancelled though.

· Registered
4 Posts
I am in London, UK and having the same issue with getting my iX40. Delivery stop although the car is at dealership. Dealer is unable to register car and release it to me before this fix is carried out. So frustrating, so close yet so far. To add salt to the wound, BMW have not been helpful at all, both dealer and I am being kept in dark regarding this Drive Unit recall fix, no updates and not indication when a fix will be available. When I complained they offered me £200, but that’s not helpful at all when I am spending £85k on the car, which is basically broken before it’s been driven. They should be prioritising this repair so media
Don’t get hold of it and after their stock price. I have tried all avenues with BMW to get my car fix and released asap, but to no avail. It’s like they don’t care. How long you guys had to wait to get the Drive Unit recall fix on your iXs? What was the fix in the end and how long did it take dealership to undertake the fix?

· Registered
7 Posts
Same here, 2 days ago my M60 got the Drivetrain Warning while driving. It was able to continue to drives as normal with no power lost whatsoever, even 100% power when floored it. I was able to drive it back home that day. I left it overnight untouched and today morning the warning went away at start. Drove it for around 10 minutes the same warning came back up but again it was able to continued to drive as normal (with no power lost) to my destination 15 miles away. Then the car was off sitting for about 10 hours untouched but the Drivetrain Warning didn't go away. Even with the Drivetrain Warning on, once again it was able to drive as normal, with no power lost, back home 15 miles away. While the car was parked in my garage, I tried to start and off the car a few times but the Drivetrain warning didn't go away. To make the matter worse, it pops a High Voltage Battery Warning on top of the Drivetrain Warning. My M60 only just passed 1000 miles couple days ago since delivered back in October. Seems like I was being lucky that three times and didn't get stranded on the side of the road. Calling a flatbed and having it towed to the dealership seems like would be a better choice and lowering the risk. Come on BMW, you can do better than this. We paid permium for these vehicles and we should not be the one who are testing it out for you and reporting back any problems. By the way, I did not encounter any problems with my 2020 X7. Maybe BMW isn't yet ready for building electric vehicles?

· Registered
57 Posts
Same here, 2 days ago my M60 got the Drivetrain Warning while driving. It was able to continue to drives as normal with no power lost whatsoever, even 100% power when floored it. I was able to drive it back home that day. I left it overnight untouched and today morning the warning went away at start. Drove it for around 10 minutes the same warning came back up but again it was able to continued to drive as normal (with no power lost) to my destination 15 miles away. Then the car was off sitting for about 10 hours untouched but the Drivetrain Warning didn't go away. Even with the Drivetrain Warning on, once again it was able to drive as normal, with no power lost, back home 15 miles away. While the car was parked in my garage, I tried to start and off the car a few times but the Drivetrain warning didn't go away. To make the matter worse, it pops a High Voltage Battery Warning on top of the Drivetrain Warning. My M60 only just passed 1000 miles couple days ago since delivered back in October. Seems like I was being lucky that three times and didn't get stranded on the side of the road. Calling a flatbed and having it towed to the dealership seems like would be a better choice and lowering the risk. Come on BMW, you can do better than this. We paid permium for these vehicles and we should not be the one who are testing it out for you and reporting back any problems. By the way, I did not encounter any problems with my 2020 X7. Maybe BMW isn't yet ready for building electric vehicles?
Hard to dig through these threads... I had this problem early-on with my iX50. The dealership suggested I do a system re-boot which fixed the problem. Turn on the ignition (doesn't need to be "drive ready") then push down on the center console volume control knob. Hold it down for 45-60 seconds. The dash goes black. Then start the car as you normally would. I think of it like a "control, alt, delete" move on older computers. I've since had to re-boot 4-5 times. Annoying but hardly catastrophic. I think we should give BMW some slack on this as it's the software bits that are hanging up rather than the mechanical bits. They have to start somewhere!

· Registered
10 Posts
I share my experience. The car's now fixed, it took 4 weeks. But I am still not trusted in my IX50.
Battery was 73 percent.
The car stopped while driving. Power was shutdown within 3 seconds. My rear other cars all stopped by me.. luckily it was not highway, but we just came out from the highway.
It was horrible experience I never had.

· Registered
7 Posts
Hard to dig through these threads... I had this problem early-on with my iX50. The dealership suggested I do a system re-boot which fixed the problem. Turn on the ignition (doesn't need to be "drive ready") then push down on the center console volume control knob. Hold it down for 45-60 seconds. The dash goes black. Then start the car as you normally would. I think of it like a "control, alt, delete" move on older computers. I've since had to re-boot 4-5 times. Annoying but hardly catastrophic. I think we should give BMW some slack on this as it's the software bits that are hanging up rather than the mechanical bits. They have to start somewhere!
By no means, I'm BMW fan-boy, had a M2, 3 series, X3 and now with an IX M60 and X7 M50i. Those gas cars didn't have any issues whatsoever other than just regular maintenance. But the IX so far already had a few software issues but was able to "fixed" by updates. However, I don't think these Drivetrain and High-Voltage warnings are simply software issues.

Since the dealership is closed for the holidays and couldn't get in touch with them to discuss these Drivetrain and High Voltage Battery Warnings issue. A friend of mine (he owns a local auto mechanic shop) has a diagnostic tool that he can run a scan of the M60 for me. He is not an EV technician but very knowledgeable.

There are 4 fault codes that are permanent and 2 in which are drivetrain related faults. In my case, he suggested that it is not just simply some "software issues/bugs". When faults are detected by the modules and permanent, there must be something wrong.

Control Module:
EME2 (Electrical Machine Electronics 2)
Fault Codes:
224F90 Function: Service Requirements Immediately (Permanent)
0317F1 High-Voltage System, Insulation Fault Detected: When Switch Contactors Are Closed (Permanent)

He noticed the fault 0317F1 could be possible moisture detected in one of the plug connections of the High-Voltage cables to the motors but not 100% sure. He said that the fault might/would/should eventually goes away once the moisture is no longer detected or to an acceptable level. Let the car sits for days and let the moisture evaporate. Just to be safe, I'll let BMW take a look at it and let them figure it out.

We did get alot of snow and rain in my area recently and most of the drive time was in snowy and rainy conditions before the faults were triggered. Service appointment is booked online, hopefully it is nothing major.

· Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem with my M60 two days after delivery at the end of Dec. They changed the coolant pump for batteries and problem fixed

· Registered
9 Posts
So a further update on my dead ix50. After 10 days of calling daily the car was finally taken to dealership (stopped on highway with critical error + high voltage battery warning + drivetrain error, after only 2000 miles, see above) Car has been at dealer 10+ days and still awaiting 2 replacement parts (unspecified) that are ‘on back order from Germany ‘, parts may arrive in 10+ days, then repair time….. So these faults are definitely not just software bugs, suggest you get your car to dealer asap if you experience these errors. If BMW roadside assist take your vehicle to dealer they have to look at it in two days, if not you’ll wait weeks for a service appointment to start this process. Not what you expect in a 100k+ car

· Registered
125 Posts
I share my experience. The car's now fixed, it took 4 weeks. But I am still not trusted in my IX50.
Battery was 73 percent.
The car stopped while driving. Power was shutdown within 3 seconds. My rear other cars all stopped by me.. luckily it was not highway, but we just came out from the highway.
It was horrible experience I never had.

Did you report your experience to Transport Canada? I certainly would report it to the NHTSA here in the states!

· Registered
10 Posts
Did you report your experience to Transport Canada? I certainly would report it to the NHTSA here in the states!
No I didn't. I don't know where should I report.
I heard, there is no Lemon law in Canada. They can not do anything.
BMW Canada said, I should talk with BMW dealership.
BMW local dealer said, I should talk with the BMW Canada..

I can not do anything..I just am praying for no more issues with this car..

· Registered
125 Posts
No I didn't. I don't know where should I report.
I heard, there is no Lemon law in Canada. They can not do anything.
BMW Canada said, I should talk with BMW dealership.
BMW local dealer said, I should talk with the BMW Canada..

I can not do anything..I just am praying for no more issues with this car..
Your car suddenly losing all power for no apparent reason while moving is a major safety. No hazard lights is too. By reporting it to Transport Canada a paper trail will be created in case this is more than a "one off" issue. How would you feel if you had actually been hit and injured and later found out it was a common occurrence? The last thing any auto manufacturer wants is reports to TC or NHTSC and have regulators looking over their shoulder...

· Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem with my M60 two days after delivery at the end of Dec. They changed the coolant pump for batteries and problem fixed
My M60 is now at the Service Center (my dealership didn't have any appointment slot open until yesterday Jan 20, even though I booked on Jan 3). There was a high voltage battery electronic control unit (ECU) software recall/update on my M60. They did the recall and finished the software update but the errors still remain. After a more in-depth diagnostic, they found the cause of the errors. Moisture in the plug connection of the high voltage cables to the motors, most likely due to assembly/installation errors. Now they have to replace the high voltage cables. The parts are from Germany and they are in back order, 3-4 weeks lead time. That's great, now I'm gonna stuck with this very low equipped X5 40i loaner for 3-4 weeks.😭

· Registered
9 Posts
So a further update on my dead ix50. After 10 days of calling daily the car was finally taken to dealership (stopped on highway with critical error + high voltage battery warning + drivetrain error, after only 2000 miles, see above) Car has been at dealer 10+ days and still awaiting 2 replacement parts (unspecified) that are ‘on back order from Germany ‘, parts may arrive in 10+ days, then repair time….. So these faults are definitely not just software bugs, suggest you get your car to dealer asap if you experience these errors. If BMW roadside assist take your vehicle to dealer they have to look at it in two days, if not you’ll wait weeks for a service appointment to start this process. Not what you expect in a 100k+ car
And another update. It’s now one month since the IX50 broke down and it’s still sitting at the dealer. They report that the connecting brushes (linking battery to motors) are faulty. they have received the parts to replace it but don’t have the special tool from BMW to make the repair! It’s on back order from Germany and the tool may take 3-4 weeks to arrive!!!!! Now chasing a replacement IX and compensation.

· Registered
2 Posts
Just to report I came across the same issues (US-new England). I got my m60i in December and two weeks ago it popped out yellow error messages "high voltage system" and "drivetrain". It has been with dealer for two weeks and I was updated today that an electric fan needs to be replaced. Backordered from Germany and it will take 3-4 weeks. This seems to be an systematic problem for BMW-iX.

· Registered
2 Posts
@saspin @Chuck2014 seems that we got the same error messages / issues but faulty parts are completely different. I think the technicians may not even know what the real cause is themselves but just try different things to see which one actually works. This is not funny. Could you update on your car status as well no matter it is well fixed or not. I will do the same thing here.

· Registered
9 Posts
Certainly, the ar has been sitting untouched at the dealer since January 6th (now Feb 5th). BMW center seem to not want to write down the cause in an email to me and will only report over the phone. They tell me it’s an issue with the conducting brushes that have to be replaced. I’ll update your I get a clearer answer.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts